Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why do this?

I have had the privilege to know some pretty incredible same sex partnerships, seeing the struggle they have gone through to have children, their own or adopting or surrogates has lead me to this point. I let me husband know i wanted to be a surrogate for a same sex couple, preferably male and he was behind me 100%, thanks babe! I researched companies, found one that is the oldest gay owned surrogacy company in the US and filled out my paperwork online. From there the normal background and conversations occurred. I was very specific with the company on whom i wished to work with.

In august i randomly checked my spam box in my gmail account and found an email stating a couple wished to work with me, this was my fat kid in dodge ball moment! I felt like for once i didn't get picked last haha. A phone call was set up with the IPs (whom are the cutest guys ever) and myself. We had a great conversation and continued to email. Once i was informed that they indeed wished to work with me it was a whirlwind of medical reviews for me and my husband as well as psychological reviews for us both. Medically everything went smashingly, psychologically i had to admit for the first time how much my horrible experience in Brazil when i was 16 really messed me up, we will save that for another time. Aside from that slight hickup, which the IPs were very sorry to hear i went through but were not put off by, the rest went well and my hubby passed his review as well. In October we started contract negotiations, sounds very complex but for me took up only about 45 min of my time. Both sides agreed and by Nov we were ready to roll.

In December i was put on BC pills to regulate my cycle with that of the egg donor. BC stopped in Jan, Lupron shots then began and the medical part is all a blur until i had the privilege to start progesterone in oil shots... let me tell you how much a 22 gauge needle hurts when you are stickign yourself... heating it in the palm of your hand or slapping your skin to try an numb the area is a joke!! doesn't work! haha.

Fast forward to the day before the big day! the day before i am to travel to the clinic responsible for the ER and sperm donation and creation of the embryo.... well welcome to the winter and the northwest... snow delays like crazy!! i managed to finally get to the town for the transfer around 6pm after starting my journey that day at 4am... yuck! then we managed to get 13 inches of snow that night... let me tell you how much fun getting to the clinic for transfer was that morning. 15 minutes later and its all done, 2 embryos transferred and I'm told to go home.... what i am leaving out of this story is that my luggage was left in Baltimore by southwest... thanks southwest! So i have to go clothes shopping so i have clean clothes to wear for the next few days. Good thing is i am from the state where the transfer occurred so my parents were there to wait on me during my day of rest, haha. Now fast forward to my 2WW...

No comments:

Post a Comment